10 Tips for Hiring a Good Locksmith
Having to hire a locksmith is a chore no one looks forward to, whether it’s for a routine appointment like lock upgrades or during an emergency, such as a vehicle lockout. However, that doesn’t stop people all over Atlanta, Georgia and the rest of the state from needing a locksmith professional from time to time. When you search for a locksmith, you may be overwhelmed by all of the possible options. As you may have suspected, not all locksmiths are created equal, and many are just out to make a quick buck. By heeding the expert advice provided in this article, you’ll be far more likely to choose a good company that’s capable of delivering the locksmith services you require at an affordable price.
Finding a reputable, talented, yet affordable locksmith isn’t always as easy as you may hope it with be. These tips can assist you by taking the hassle out of the process. Even if you don’t need a locksmith right away, selecting a company before any issues occur can help any potential situations you may face in the future be resolved quickly and painlessly.
1. Know What You Need Done – While you may not have knowledge or insight about your locks and keys to the extent that a locksmith would, you should still try to narrow down exactly what services you require a professional locksmith to perform. This will help you communicate your needs to the locksmith companies that you investigate, and allow you to have more control over the situation. Did you lock your keys inside your vehicle and lack a spare so you need a damage-free way to get back inside? Are you concerned that your locks are flimsy and need to be upgraded? Do you need your vehicle’s key duplicated? Narrowing down what you need performed is a good first step.
2. Gather a Fair Amount of Research – These days, there’s a wealth of information out there when you’re searching for any type of service provider. Search around for your options, making a list of your top choices on paper or in your phone with enough room to add additional information about each company that may be relevant. Track down any online reviews that have been left for the company by former customers to glean insight into the quality and trustworthiness of a company. Have a critical eye while you evaluate the information that’s presented to you. Compare the history of the companies, their reputations, their rates and fees, and other information. Feel free to contact every locksmith company you’re considering to ask any questions that may arise during this process.
3. Choose a Local Company – Choosing a locally-owned and operated company, especially a family-operated locksmith provider like Kennesaw Locksmith Pro, will give you a better chance of personalized, high-quality locksmith service. Local locksmiths take more care to become established in their communities by hiring experts, treating each customer’s situation with more personalized care, as well as allowing you to support a neighborhood business.
4. Ask Around for Recommendations – Another way that you can find a local locksmith to assist you, in addition to merely searching online or in the phone book, is to ask around to friends, family members, coworkers, and neighbors to see if any of them have had to use a locksmith in the last year or so.
5. Get an Estimate from Each Potential Company – One of the most crucial bits of information you can collect during this process is estimates from each company. Any locksmith company worth their salt should be more than willing to offer you an accurate estimate, so if a company won’t give you a concrete estimate, tells you that it is subject to change at will, or gives you multiple differing estimates, those should all strike you as red flags. While an estimate isn’t the only important information to help you make a decision, it is a vital puzzle piece.
6. Narrow Your Choices Down – Now that you’ve collected a fair amount of information about your choices, it’s time to narrow down your selections. You want to have about 2-3 top choices that stand above the rest. Compare all of the information you’ve gleaned from each company and cut out any that seem lackluster or less impressive. Keep your top choices. Feel free to get more information if that’s needed to make a more informed decision.
7. Pick a Locksmith Who Specializes in Your Area – Whether you need a locksmith for residential, commercial, or automotive locksmith services in Atlanta, it’s important to choose a company that specifically specializes in the type of service you’re requesting. Some locksmith companies, especially those that mostly handle emergency lockouts, don’t have much experience or training in other, more varied locksmith services.
8. Ensure They Have the Proper Qualifications – Locksmithing is a specialized trade, much like any other similar services. While a locksmith doesn’t have to have certifications in Georgia to perform many types of locksmith services, by choosing to go with a company that requires locksmith certifications from the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA), you’ll ensure that the locksmiths working on your job are truly qualified to be doing the job. Ensure that the locksmith company you chose also hold insurance, which they should be able to provide you upon request.
9. Look for Any Red Flags – Some warning signs of potential scams or problems include lack of an online presence, a company name that doesn’t match up on different sources, or telling you immediately that they want to drill your locks during a lockout or similar situation. Trust your gut.
10. Don’t Be Afraid to Change Your Mind – Even once you hire a company and they’re on their way to your property, you still have the right to change your mind. If the locksmith arrives in an unmarked vehicle or refuses to show their credentials to you, that should be a red flag. If the quote they give you in person varies greatly from the one they told you over the phone for the same service that should also raise your suspicions.
By following the tips listed on this page, you’ll be far more likely to be satisfied with your overall locksmith experience.